Wow…this has been a tremendous project to work on and it is hard to believe that it is finally winding down to where the jacket will be getting unveiled.
Prior to stitching the jacket hem and lining together the basting stitches for the back lining placket needed to be removed. The jacket hem was turned up and eased in then catch-stitched down. I didn’t want my lining hanging loosely so I chose to stitch it directly to the jacket hem…darn…no one will every know that the jacket was under-lined with those cute little flannel circles! Once the hem and lower jacket lining were in place the lining was also attached to the inner sleeve hem.
The jacket was placed on Myrna where I then hand basted diagonal stitches along the front of the jacket, lapels and upper collar. This allowed me to steam press the jacket slightly and kept all the layers together prior to top-stitching.
I used the seam guide to assist me in having even top-stitching all the way around the coat. Once complete the hand basting was removed and I steam pressed the jacket again.
Continuing onward with sewing that lovely button that I had picked out from my Great-Grandmother Netties’ button tin. I used a toothpick to keep my button raised away from the coat while also stitching through a second button underneath to help prevent the lining from getting damaged due to the stress of buttoning and unbuttoning the coat.
An additional snap closure was sewn on as well. Update 3/6/12: I found this “sewing tidbit” on Threads this morning and thought it might be of interest to you. I will now use this technique in the future when sewing on snaps and hooks.
….next post….the finished product!!!