~ Mimi's Adventures in Crafting ~

The musings and adventures of a "forty-something" wife and mother whose inner-artisan has been reignited. Enter my realm and enjoy....


Sunday, November 15, 2009

M5142 Jeans: Front Pockets

I know my progress may seem staggeringly slow but I’m back after having taken the weekend off.  It is now time for me to continue with my jean making by completing my front pockets on the M5142 jeans. The pattern calls for you to cut the complete side front (#2) out of denim but I wanted to make them more like my RTW jeans. I modified the side front pattern by creating a piece that was at least half of the side front and cut that out of denim and then cut the (#2) piece out of my lining fabric.















I also resized my ticket pocket based on my RTW and moved the placement. Serge bottom edge of the jean piece on left front and finished top of ticket pocket and pressed under the sides of ticket pocket. Pin ticket to right front jean piece, mark for topstitching and then topstitch.




I didn’t turn under the bottom of the ticket pocket it will get trimmed off when the piece is serged.





Place jean pieces onto the wrong side of the lining piece and sew down with the conventional machine around all edges of the denim piece for both left and right side fronts.




With the wrong side of the front pocket lining against the right side of the denim front, stitch pocket seam, press, turn, clip if necessary.

 

Pull the jean fabric over the pocket edge so that the lining stays to the inside and topstitch.



Sewing the pocket linings together.
Here is the front of my jeans all finished along with and inside view. I chose to sew my pocket with the wrong side of my lining because I wanted to see my fashion fabric on the inside of the jeans. I am satisfied with how they are beginning to look.



Up next…the inside leg seam and center back seams.

Catcha on my next posting...Happy Sewing

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful techniques, I wish that I had read this before I made my front pockets (tried to but my computer locked up and crashed). Thanks for sharing your progress in such a detailed manner.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails